Gaul Warriors and Roman Auxiliary

Home Forums Historical SPQR Gaul Warriors and Roman Auxiliary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michal
    Participant

Hi,

I have question about Gaul Warriors and Auxiliary equipment. Both start with Great shield and Sword. But you can buy them Short Spear for 2 Denarii.

I don’t understand this option, Short Spear is “weaker” then Sword. Why it’s even available? What is reasoning behind this?

invisible officer
    Participant

The reasoning? Most Auxilia had a hasta / spear.

You can throw a spear. If you have a sword as secondary weapon good idea, if not………

Michal
    Participant

No, what I mean, why would you pay 2 denari in wargame to get inferior weapon to one you have? And can you throw spear? Not only javelins? Need to check this out.

There is difference between historical accuracy and wargame rules. I’m asking if there is some good reason to buy those spears for unit already equipped in swords. I didn’t found any, maybe I missed something.

invisible officer
    Participant

I get so tired from that : “There is difference between historical accuracy and wargame rules”

There are good accurate Roman era sets. For armies, small units and single combat.

I based my answer on the historical reasons to give the auxilia a hasta and not just a sword.
    1. It was possible to throw the hasta, not as far as a javelin but some Auxilia had hasta and javelins.
    2. You have a range advantage over swords in close combat.
    3. Fighing horsemen with a sword is no good idea.

I must confess I did not buy SPQR until now. I doubt that the makers have that wrong. But if such very simple facts are ignored I will not buy it.

Michal
    Participant

You can’t throw short spears in SPQR.

Short spear doesn’t have any advantages or disadvantages. No special rules.

With sword you have ability to Parry.

Long Spears are different. You have range advantage with them.

My problem is there are units that are equipped with Short spears and you can buy them swords, what means upgrading them.

But buying short spears for unit that already have swords, looks like wasting points.

For me personally this is not a problem. For me SPQR is easy game where I can roll some dice with wife in interesting period.

EDIT: For me this is more wargame adaptation of Asterix&Obelix, with some movies like 300 added. Than historically accurate game.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Michal.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.