gaul warrior

Home Forums Historical SPQR gaul warrior

• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    giuseppe
    Participant

One more question…
    the gaul warrior has in the starting equip Large shield and sword with the optional of short spear for 2 points ( It’s a downgrade) but the German warrior at the same cost (9) and the same profile start with large shield and short spear . I see also that gaul horseman start with spear with the option of sword for 3 denarii. May I now consider that the gaul warrior start with spear and may I buyer sword for 3 denarii? Thank you!!!!!!!

Caratacus
    Participant

When you buy an extra close combat weapon for a unit, it isn’t a downgrade but an upgrade as it gives you the choice of using both those weapons or one and a shield. In the Gaul’s case, then, all you’re paying for by taking the short spear is an extra weapon to allow for dual-weapon attack. In the German’s case, on the other hand, if you buy him an axe you’re purchasing both the option to fight with two weapons and also the Lethal 1 special rule from the axe.

Similarly, for the Gaul horseman, when you buy a sword you’re giving him the option to fight with two weapons, as well as the Parry special rule from the sword.

Hope that helps.

Tim
    Participant

Also, in the FAQ p.3 it is stated that short spears only cost 1 denarii for everyone who has the option to buy one.

giuseppe
    Participant

Thank you very much.
    Sorry again but the rule for dual weapon says that “using two close combat weapons obviously cannot use a shield” … so if I buy a spear I vaste the shield…
    Ciao

giuseppe
    Participant

Also in the image of the base box there is a band of Gaul with a mix of spear and shield and sword and shield… and I have pictured and assembled my models with this in mind… why Warlord ???
    Sorry again and ciao

giuseppe
    Participant

Why Warlord?????

The imagine has no sense…
    ciao

giuseppe
    Participant

and for these?
    Warlord???
    There is no sense to show this imagine…
    Sorry one more time
    ciao

Tim
    Participant

The FAQ also addresses the dual weapon issue that many people were having.
    It states on p.1,
    “In melee, they lose the shield… they gain the benefits of shields when being shot at… can use the shield when the arrows come in”.
    This is the same as for warriors with 2-handed weapons (ie. Great axes, Falx, etc.).

Attachments:
    giuseppe
    Participant

Thank you Now It’s clear, but I still ask why the pictures from Warlord show different mix…
    Ciao

Tim
    Participant

I agree that the models pictured do not represent how the game is played. But, most of their model range is from Hail Caesar which plays on a much larger scale and has more flexibility for mixed weapon units.
    The SPQR Rulebook does state that when modeling it is perfectly fine to add in some mixed weapons if you need to “fill out a unit”… So long as the majority of models have the same weapons and armour.

Sergio
    Participant

Short spear also gives Lethal 1

Discoqing
    Participant

Short spear also gives Lethal 1

No it doesn’t.

Tim
    Participant

True. Short Spears only get Lethal (2) when charging from horseback- same as Long Spears. Otherwise, Short Spears get NO bonus (p.27).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.