Frontage

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Frontage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Corso
    Participant

What frontage do you use for units?

For our 30yw battles we use 80mm pike blocks, 120mm battle-line and 100mm for cavalry. During these battles, battle-line units were becoming quite unflexible.

My friends and I also discussed using combined pike/shot units. In that case we suggested 160mm for all infantry units and increase cavalry frontage to 150mm.

Any comments are welcome 🙂

Rough Rider
    Participant

When Jeff and I played with combined units I think we had 200mm frontage (5 40mm x40mm bases). As my minis are based in singles pairs and quads and I used movement trays I had one tray full of pike and another that was half pike and half shot to get a decent ratio. I will see if I can find a picture…

I would have liked to have done the regiments at 80mm deep but we didn’t have the figures for it. It would have looked great though.

Edit: I found a pic from Jeff’s blog:

It looks like I didn’t have it quite right- the regiments were quite wide. The brown movement trays are about 45 mm across so the regiment at the bottom of the photo would be about 270 mm across.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

My ‘battle-line’ (i.e. units of shot), and my units of Pike are both 120mm. Cavalry are 150mm. This is for regular sized units.

Small units are 80mm / 100mm respectively.

My group continues to fight Pike and shot units as separate entities, although the rules encourage you to keep pike and shot units together to stop the Pike getting shot to pieces and/or stop the shot getting stomped by cavalry or other Pike.

Highlanders are a whole other story 😉

By coincidence, I’ve covered my approach in a blog post today. https://battleofinverlochy.blogspot.com/2018/08/building-miniature-armies.html

Corso
    Participant

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.

Rough Rider
    Participant

I like your blog post Charge The Guns.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks RR! I wish I could keep up posting to it more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.