French Napoleonic light cav carry no eagles?

Home Forums Historical Black Powder French Napoleonic light cav carry no eagles?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dr Dave
    Participant

Can it be true?

Increasingly I’m reading that from 1806 the little fella had his chassuers and hussars return their eagles until none were carried. I only have one book of my own “War drama of the eagles” which makes this claim. Obviously being devious and sly their natural instinct to hide things and deceive might mean eagles remained in the field. What’s the view of the BP-collective? Should I field my lights “sans oiseau”?

Garry Wills
    Participant

According to the oracle on these matters P. Charrie, Drapeaux et Etandards etc, Berthier sent an order on the 25/09/1806 decreeing that when leaving for campaign, the hussars & chasseurs a cheval should leave all their eagles behind, the dragoons could take one per regiment and the cuirassiers and carabiniers could take all three of theirs (p.131). Helpfully he concludes by saying ‘These regulations were followed in various ways, often late and sometimes not at all’. Hope this helps.

Garry Wills
    http://www.caseshotpublishing.com

Dr Dave
    Participant

Garry – huge thanks. I think that I’ve pinned down the exceptions. Odd that the cuirassier and carabiniers could take all THREE (?) of theirs when there are 4 Sqns in each regt. Perhaps that means all 3 of the extra ones in addition to the regimental (1eme Sqn) eagle?

Now I’m wondering if the order wasn’t referring to the extra sqn eagles (carried by Sqns 2-3) and excluded the 1eme Sqn one. Hence the Dragoons actually carry 2, Cuirassier etc 4 and the Chasseurs and Hussars still have 1 per regt?

Garry Wills
    Participant

No I don’t think that is the correct interpretation; the text is; “Expedier des ordres 1) pour les regiments de hussards et chasseurs suivent les reglements et qu’a leur entree en campagne toutes leurs aigles soient envoyees au Quartier General. 2) pour les regiments de dragons n’aient qu’une aigle par regiment et les deux autres soient renvoyees au depot. Les Cuirassiers et carabiniers conserveront leurs trois aigles.” It is clear that Berthier was talking about all of the eagles, but I agree the comment about the cuirassiers is curious, it implies that they only had 3 eagles but Charrie elsewhere confirms several times that they were given 4 per regiment. The only thing that comes to mind is this is in September 1806 just before the campaign against Prussia, did the cuirassiers only take 3 squadrons on that campaign, following the losses of the 1805 campaign?

Regards

Garry

Garry Wills
    Participant

apparently not LINK

regards

Garry

invisible officer
    Participant

Originally there were 4 Eagles per cavalry regiment of 4 squadrons. But the army lost too many for the taste of the petite c.

In 1806 Napoleon ordered that regiments of chasseurs and hussars deposit all Eagles, dragoons deposit 3 and keep only one in the field and the cuirassiers retain 3 Eagles per regiment. One was to stay in depot as a core for replacements. Provisoire regiments de marche got no eagle.

Some regiments of hussars and chasseurs refused to give up their Eagles and in 1809 (and even in 1812 and 1813) These carried 1 in the field.

In 1812 generally no squadron fanions were carried in the field, instead they used the small company fanions.

And: The non national French units got no longer eagles on formation, they had to earn them on battlefield

Dr Dave
    Participant

Garry – big thanks.
    IO – big thanks.

I’m collecting for Spain – the most important theatre of operation during the Napoleonic wars (heads towards the door as you both fume over a your beers, well… one fine ale and one frothy fizzy lager I suspect)

Seriously though – I’m aiming for a proper campaign look – no pelisse and conversions to the Kinski with green stuff blanket rolls added.

Thanks again.

Tim Young
    Participant

The light cavalry was not the only units ordered to leave their eagles in depot. After the 9th Leger lost their regimental colors in the winter of 06/07 Napoleon had a melt down, until it was learned the eagle had been removed from the flag staff for repairs to damage caused by a musket ball. I do not have the dates but the Leger infantry were ordered to leave all their eagles in depot and only allowed one standard in the field.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.