Free moves page 34

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Free moves page 34

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Simon Morley
    Participant

Hi guys.

Free moves am I right in thinking that this only allowed to a unit that has its command roll fail and hence no more moves for that brigade.

Or does it allow for any units not ordered to do their free moves even if brigade commander has failed his command die,

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Any unit that has not received an order that turn.  It doesn’t matter if you fail a command roll for that unit, or before you get to it.

Hope that helps?

Garry Wills
    Participant

I am sorry CtG, free moves are only available to units that failed their command roll. First para of p.34. Hence some units with free moves won’t get them if they are not ordered for whatever reason.

Regards

Garry

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Ah, I see.  Thanks for clarification, Gary.  We’ve never interpreted it like that.  I think our logic is that, if a unit is entitled to a free move, then this entitlement is on the basis of what the unit is, or is doing, not on the basis of being the unit where the commander fluffs his roll.

Couldn’t you say that every unit in a brigade has technically failed an order if the commander fluffs a roll before getting to them?

So, I have a brigade of four Superbly Drilled infantry battalions, and I try and give the first one an order, but fail. That one battalion can move, because it is a very well drilled unit and the unit’s officers know what they are about.  It makes sense to me that the special rule would also apply to the other units in the brigade as they gave the same good officers etc. so they should also be entitled to their free move.

Very useful clarification though, as I can see how people may feel obliged to play to the wording as you describe, and this could cause confusion when playing new people.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Hi CtG, I see your reasoning but I was sticking to RAW. With your example I think it is even more important that the RAW approach is taken, BP’s strength is the randomness it brings to command and movement. No units are exempt from friction. Good discussion though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.