Distances

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Distances

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter
    Participant

Hi Guys I’m looking for your thoughts and advice on BP measurements . I am considering scaling down to say eg :2/3rd’s of Rules as written scales and would apply it to everything eg movement/visibility/ proximity/firing/ command range etc etc
    Also if I do this should I reduce unit sizes from say 24 figs to 20 for infantry as an example or leave it alone?
    I game on a 9×5 table with 28mm figs and find that sides contact too quickly and go off table too quickly . I mainly game Napoleonics.
    Some tweaks I’ve added are……
    * for my Napoleonic battles I add in a lot from Ady’s Clash of Eagles/Albion triumphant supplements . Does it for me as a general rule of putting Napoleonic polish on basic rules .
    *I also now use the initial deployment methods which I saw on the Perrys Facebook page adds uncertainty at the start for both sides especially for meeting engagement battles
    *I no longer use the Marauder rule for Lt Cavalry or Horse artillery on the battlefield as they were under command like everything else and not super units whizzing around freely . I might apply it to Cossacks who have other limitations added when on the battlefield also(clash of Eagles)but that’s it . Definitely I would use it in smaller conflicts especially colonial where applicable.

Thanks
    Peter

Big Al
    Participant

I would just convert to centimetres. It means that all the measurements in the book and the qrs remain the same – no maths to work out!

Dr Dave
    Participant

I think you’ve got it spot on – especially on a 5ft deep table and I totally agree with your take on the marauder rule. Shame about smaller units but thems the breaks.

Question – what is the Perry’s initial deployment rule idea. I can’t see it on their Facebook.

Peter
    Participant

Dave it was a couple of months ago they did a battle Munchausen ( did it twice)I believe it was called and used General figures on table at the start with several dummies too . Which moved a certain distance until they were with in a certain visibility range then deployed the relevant formations on table as they became known . They use 2 movement distances for infantry and cavalry Generals initially until they deploy after being observed or removed if dummies
    I just liked the premise it takes away the usual I place on table to match what you have

Peter
    Participant

Dave look at it on Aug5th and September 19 2019
    On their Facebook page

Marecki
    Participant

Hi Peter,
    I also use 2/3rd distance for my games. Basic movement rules are too quickly for me. I use Clash of the Eagles rules for reduced movement for line formations and -1 penalty command for firing units. Now games are less dynamic but for my 3-4 brigade per side fits ok.
    Good point about marauders rule. But for instance hussars and cuirassiers had different movement nature, so maybe light cavalry ignore -1 to command roll for first 12″ (or 8″ for our scale) distance from commander, and receive -1 on 24″ (16″), -2 on 36″ (24″) and so on ??
    Thanks for present very interesting Perry’s meeting engagement scenarios.
    Cheers

Garry Wills
    Participant

I use cms for my games – I use 15mm figures. With regard to unit sizes the switch to cm also changes the unit frontages although BP2 gives the frontages in mm! So a standard unit 200-250 mm frontage or 8 to 10 inches or 8 to 10 cm in the cm scale.

Dr Dave
    Participant

Thanks for the pointers in the Perry post.

As for Marauders. I think it’s confusing their on table and off table roles. British cav drill was the same during the Nap War for heavies and lights. And that’s the key thing. What are you representing? I’d its a raid then dandy. Their marauders. But look at Pire and Jaquinots brigades At Waterloo – not marauding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.