D-Day: Tow Trouble scenario

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action D-Day Campaign D-Day: Tow Trouble scenario

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kevin stronach
    Participant

Played Tow Trouble tonight in our club using the forces & map suggested, using a 4′ x4′ battlefield as that looked about right. But:
    Problem A) the FJ never got close enough to fire their panzerfausts at the recovery vehicle due to moving on from their table edge
    Problem B) the M32 Armoured Recovery Vehicle turned out not to be open topped, so could not be pinned except with the panzerfausts & possibly the light mortar, this meant:
    Problem C) my opponent felt no need to risk his troops (my potential VPs) in going forward, so:
    Problem D) the M32 Armoured Recovery Vehicle made it to the Sherman in turn 2 (also attached with a roll of 9 or less & no pins) & was off the table by turn three due to double movement on the road & length of the model itself – or at least nearly there as my opponent generously fiddled his movement to give me a last chance on turn 4 to catch him, but no, he was too far away already.

I thought this looked a nice little scenario to wheel out my FJ, but it doesn’t seem to work (unless we got something terribly wrong?). Also another problem cropped up: we assumed the Sherman being towed behind the M32 Armoured Recovery Vehicle provides Hard Cover, as it blocks almost all LOS to it? Making any possible Panzerfaust shot nearly impossible unless you somehow overtake the M32?

Any thoughts on this scenario are greatlfully appreciated

Kev

Tom Mecredy
    Participant

I think most of your problems stemmed from playing on a 4×4′ table – unless otherwise stated, all scenarios in the D-Day campaign are played on a 3×3′ due to the small numbers of troops involved!

Cat Shot One
    Participant

Kevin, not sure how the official stats of the M32 look like, but I think if M8 and M10 are open-topped, so should be the M32.

kevin stronach
    Participant

Looked the stats up on the night before we played in the Tank War book: M32 not given as open-topped, though a lot of the other recovery vehicles were. I had assumed it would be, & that would balance the scenario out nicely, as any of the “hitch” tests could have been made harder.

3′ x 3′ table would have made it less distance for the FJ, but only a 2 turn game for the M32 to move up; hitch on turn 1; & then get off table on turn 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.