Critical hits and torpedo’s

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Critical hits and torpedo’s

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris kuhn
    Participant

On Critical hits when it calls foryou to roll addition d6 damage if you roll a 6 on this damage does it do a critical or just damage?

On Torpedo hits when rolling damage you cause a possible critical on an unmodified 5 or 6 and then location of the critical ( engine, weapon, or crew ) thenit says roll 1 d6 to determine severity which has to be higher thenany previous critical in area now the situation of you cause a critical under weapon that does not have any criticals in it and you roll a 6 for severity what happens to severity 1-5?

Nat
    Participant

Torpedoes all have Devastating rule –

That means you dont try and beat the armour like normal damage – its always D6 – Torpedo belt number (if applicable).  Then IF you roll a 5 or 6 you get to roll again… if the second roll is a 4 or more then yes you’ve scored a critical.

As confirmed by the FAQ, whe you roll for what level of critical you apply, you apply all previous / lower levels that have not yet been applied.  So for example if you roll a 6 on a ship that has no criticals you apply all 6 levels (ouch!).  If the target already had level 3 and you rolled a 5 then you would apply levels 4 & 5.

So for example my torpedo hits an undamaged ship with Torpdo Belt 1 in the side and I roll a 5, I apply 4 damage to the ship and ‘roll to confirm’ the critical.  I get a 4, CRIT!
    So I now roll a D10 – this gets me a 5 (weapons!) I check what level …6!

That ship has now suffered 11 + 6D6 Damage, -1″ flank speed, -4 AD (rolled 3 times to see if Torpedos, Light guns or AA) 2 turrets distroyed & another (or its one thats destroyed)…..and will need to make 2 escalation rolls in the end phase…

Finn
    Participant

Ok, thank you for that explanation. Since i played it differently with just getting the crit score 1 up, that makes torpedoes way more potent and “devastating!” ^^,
    But that leaves me on another question. If the Ship already has a crit score of 4 on whatever system and i roll a 3 for the crit effect. That means it does not take effect?

That leaves me to say…Dodge < wakeless torpedoes < Long Lance salvo in the beginning of the game => very stronk!

– Since we had last time the discussion: Do flights (Torpedo Bombers in this case) also get the boni/mali for fast ships/dodge ect? I`ve read the cheat-sheet with the passage: “Against ships and MTBs, flights to hits are not modified” and that sounds to me, like they always hit on their applicable table.

Nat
    Participant

So if you roll equal or lower than the current crit level then nothing happens.  So if you roll a 3 and the ship already has a 4, then its zero effect (except for the base damage).

Yes IJNs fan torpedo rule is VERY strong … its a single dice in place 6-12 AD, but its a straight 6 to hit no re-rolls or modifiers!

And yes flights hit on their to hit score thats it! The to hit modifiers are for Ships (inc Subs & MTBs) and shore emplacements… Dive Bombers are the best weapon to take out destroyers because of this – they hit on a 3+ and are devastating.  (side note the only time a flights to hit is modified is against surfaced subs – then they use the flights v subs table thats found in the subs section of the rulebook (sorry no rulebook on me so cannt give a page number))

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.