Critical Hit 10 – Torpedo Hit

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Critical Hit 10 – Torpedo Hit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Big Al
    Participant

When you roll this and manage to roll a 6, which explodes the torpedo, you roll 8d6 damage. If any of those damage dice results are a 6, do they explode as they would when a torpedo hits its target?

In last night’s game, we had this result come up three times. We just counted the 8 dice and didn’t reroll any 6’s on the damage dice. We did wonder.

RichC

Torpedoes cause 16D6 damage – any 6’s rolled do not cause critical hits. instead, add up the total of the 16 D6 then reroll any dice that were natural 6’s, add this result as further damage (again no criticals)

Devastating!

Big Al
    Participant

Richard, you have misunderstood my question. I am talking about scoring a critical hit by shooting and the critical hit Roll is 10, Torpedo hit. If you roll 5+, you then roll 8d6 damage, representing the shell causing the racked torpedo to explode. If any of those 8d6 results in a 6, do you reroll them as you would when a torpedo hits when fired, or do you just count the damage rolled?

Bill Smith
    Participant

I would go with 6s causing conventional criticals. It is a deck level explosion so quite likely to disable guns, cause fires etc.

Scorpio Rocks
    Participant

My understanding is Criticals NEVER cause further criticals. (it is explicitly stated on a couple of them ie Crit #9)

Big Al
    Participant

Right, let me just clear this up. The vessel was hit by a 3pdr shell that scored a critical hit. The critical hit was “Torpedo hit”, which results in 8d6 damage to the vessel. My question is “do I reroll any 6 on the damage dice like you do when a torpedo hits a vessel when fired?”

I know a torpedo doesn’t cause a critical hit. I know that when a torpedo hits any 6 rolled on the damage dice is rerolled and added to the damage. I just want to know if this applies when the torpedo is hit when it is on the deck in an unarmed state.

Bill McGill
    Participant

I would say “No”, you don’t re-roll 6s. It is not stated in the “Torpedo hit” critical rule that the damage is anything more than a basic 8D6.

Henry Higgins
    Participant

Does anybody know why torpedoes do not cause critical hits? it seems strange that a small gun shell can cause a critical hit but a quarter of a ton of high explosive going off does not. Richard, do you know why?

Scorpio Rocks
    Participant

There are a couple of fan made critical hit tables for torpedoes about…

Torpedoes DEFINITELY SHOULD cause critical hits, they should however be confined to rudder, hull, engine, fuel and sinking results

Big Al
    Participant

We did that for that very reason. I only ask because The question came up and it wouldn’t be to only error in the book if it had been left out.

Michael Davis
    Participant

If you allow further criticals from a Torpedo Hit critical, why would you disallow certain other criticals?

Many of these boats have torpedo tubes located right beside the Bridge. Seems logical the concussion and debris from such an explosion could ring the bells of anyone inside, if not wipe them out entirely.

Same for all those Guns, Ammo, and Crew on the deck. All that shrapnel flying about would be indiscriminate about what it was flying towards.

“BOOM! Here I come, right for your…Oh, sorry, didn’t see you were human. I’ll just hit that engine behind you, if you’d be so kind as to step a little bit to the… that’s it, thank you so much.”

No, if you allow Criticals from Criticals, it’s an all-or-nothing situation. Doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Big Al
    Participant

I’m not talking about further critical hits. I’m just asking if any 6s rolled for damage are rerolled because it is a torpedo that has exploded, and we all know that torpedoes don’t cause critical hits!

Bill McGill
    Participant

I don’t think you need extra critical hits for torpedo hits (or on-deck detonations) – the base damage is critical enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.