Counting units

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Counting units

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Donald
    Participant

We had our third HC game today – fourth if you count a solo game I had to learn to play.

So you can hardly call us experts. The game was with a Hittite army opposing a Mycenaean one. Bronze Age.

It went very well. We committed the heinous crime of counting skirmish & light units for purposes of break points.

This was because the opposing armies weren’t large – only 3 divisions each , with 4-5 units per division (counting the skirmishers etc).

This probably lengthened the game a bit but because it lasted well under 3 hours, I would not complain. With our small divisions, it gave them a tad more  battlefield longevity.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

donald

Big Al
    Participant

Not really. It is your game and you made the decision for both sides. I know you could argue that one side might have won if skirmishers hadn’t been counted, but the important thing is that you had fun and learned the rules.
    next time you play, you’ll not count the skirmishers and probably find it would make little difference with small forces.
    it isn’t a competition and you’re playing the game!

Donald
    Participant

I appreciate your comment on “it’s your game” which is also stressed in the rule book.

It is useful, though, to get opinions from experienced players. I think most wargames have a “critical mass” – a size where they work best.

I suspect that although our 3 divisions a side worked well, 4 would have given a bit more nuance? Allowing  more tactical choices?

donald

Big Al
    Participant

Well, ideally four or five divisions is what you need. But as I said, you are learning the rules and made the mistake has been learned. Next time you won’t count the skirmishers. I only said “it’s your game” because of that. I was not saying that you should do what you want because of that, only that it would not matter because of your learning the rules.
    The next game will be different and as you build your armies, it will get better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.