Correct measuring

Home Forums Historical Blood Red Skies Correct measuring

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cat Shot One
    Participant

I introduced a friend to BRS yesterday. He came up with two very, very basic questions which indeed are not clearly covered in the rulebook or where the diagrams are conflicting with each other. Instead of sticking to my previous interpretation, I forward them for official guidance:

1. How is distance measured exactly for shooting or other pilot actions/trait card effects?
    Base to stem (p. 12)? Base to base (p. 13)? Stem to stem?

2. Which arc does a shot strike which comes in exactly on a diagonal?

Koin-Koin

For me, distances are measured from base to base.
    I need to double check the rules but it just never occurred to me to wonder about so I may assume too much.

Regarding the arc section, as in most cases the attacking plane ends with a turn before firing, it’s either it can turn enough to go beyond the limit or not. In the second case it will strike from the side which is targeted with less turn.

If the attacking plane use a tight turn or similar ability, I would play it the same as I would consider that it didn’t have enough turn to put itself in the most advantageous position.

Once again, it’s my own interpretation. So take it as a “coherent ruling” try.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Koin-Koin.
    Cat Shot One
    Participant

Andy, Renko, what’s the ruling on these two questions?

Andy Chambers
    Participant

For measuring ranges its base edge to base edge. If using the sabot bases use the original base edge and ignore the sabot itself for measuring ranges.

To determine shooting position draw a straight line between the shooter and target going from base stem to base stem. The facing arc the line passes through determines the shooting position.

Cat Shot One
    Participant

Hi Andy,
    thanks for coming back to my barrage of questions with a volley of answers.

On the one from above about the shooting geometries, I understand to the general procedure. But how to deal with a shot running exactly along the line separating two neigbouring arcs (i. front & side or side & back) of the target plane?

Andy Chambers
    Participant

In the unlikely event of it being

precisely

along the line you’ll have to roll a dice or flip a coin for it. I can’t honestly ever recall this happening.

Cat Shot One
    Participant

OK. Maybe it’s just my aerobatically skilled friend or my bad eyes but I would estimate it to happen every second games.

Andy Chambers
    Participant

My advice is to take a straight edge like a ruler or book spine and line it up above both sides of the plane’s base so its running along the arc lines on the pilot disc and extending them outwards in effect. Things can often look close when you eyeball it but are actually not. I’ve genuinely never had a case that was too close to call when using the ruler method.

Cat Shot One
    Participant

In fact I use a laser pointer with an integrated line optic. 🙂

Andy Chambers
    Participant

Then all I can say is my hat’s off to that level of precision flying, roll a dice for it 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.