Cavalry Unit Size and Basing

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Cavalry Unit Size and Basing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve just purchased my first cavalry unit and haven’t thought about this much before. The group I play with mainly bases infantry 40×40 (2×2), 6 bases for a standard size unit (240mm line frontage) is between the rules 200-250mm. A cavalry unit is based 50×50 (2×1), 6 bases (12 figures). Is this a standard size unit? The line frontage is 300mm that would make it large? I see everyone takes 12 fig cavalry units as normal.

I’m very confused :(..Richard

Nat
    Participant

yes it is…. 2 things.. 1 is that cavalry can be put in line 2 bases deep (so 3 wide for a standard unit).  The other is that the unit frontage sizes are guides and personal /club basing conventions should win out.  The difference in sizes shouldnt make to much of an impact.

In the Chelmsford bunker we’ve gone with the rule of thumb for bases : 15-20 mm square per infantry model & 20-25mm by 50mm per cavalry model wide.  2 wide x2deep for infantry companies, and 2 wide x1 deep cavalry companies.  Units of 1-2 companies tiny, 3-4 small, 5-7 standard & 8+ large.  Guns are put on a 60-100mm wide base & are 1 gun for half battery, 2 for standard /Russian half & 3 for a large battery.  single foot commanders – 20 or 25mm round, single horse commanders – 50mm round, diaramara commanders – are on what ever :p

(companies in this instant being gaming bases not organisational companies… so a light company could be 4 x 1 models, 2 x 2models or 1 base of 4 as you see fit)

EDIT – you’ll notice we went with a range of base sizes for models, this is due to perry boxes coming with one size (15mm) and warlord coming with another (20mm) and peoples preferences, and what they have around at home :p

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Nat.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.