Cat and Mouse battle report

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Cat and Mouse battle report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve Burt
    Participant

We used the ‘Cat and Mouse’ scenario from Wargamess Illustrated, so 1 frigate vs 2 brigs.
    We used the advanced wind rules, and ‘fire as she bears’ but not any other advanced rules.
    A really fun game; it was a draw after 6 moves (1 brig on the point of striking), but we continued for another 4 moves or so and an unwise attempt to swing round using the sea anchor saw the frigate hit several times without reply (helped by great dice rolling from the brigs), and striking her colours.
    Only one thing I don’t like about the rules as they stand; a hit on a roll of 1 is a critical, but this means that when it is hard to hit, it is more likely that any hits will be criticals, and also means that a light cannon is as likely to score a critical hit as a heavy one or a carronade. Easy to fix: instead of using the to hit rolls, roll 1d10 per damage point, 1s (or perhaps 10s so low rolls are not always good) are critical hits.
    A shot of the action; I’ve not build the starter ships yet, so the frigate is one of my scratch built 1:600 ships and the brigs are WizKids Pirates of the Spanish main ships which I based and painted the white edges a while ago – they make pretty good gaming models.

Capt John Sparrow
    Participant

Steve, I really like this idea.

Easy to fix: instead of using the to hit rolls, roll 1d10 per damage point, 1s (or perhaps 10s so low rolls are not always good) are critical hits.

Am going to give that a run out.

Avast there.
    John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.