Blackpowder german vs. english version

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Blackpowder german vs. english version

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Karl Deppe
    Participant

Hallo,

could it be, that the german and the english version of black powder differs. We had it in our last round. Regarding broken brigades it seems that the english verion generally do not allow to give orders to units of a broken brigaden. They must retire one moove per round. But the german version do so if the unit is not in the near of an enemy unit and do not need to retire. I do not have the german version so I can not check.

So what is the right version?

BR Karl

Garry Wills
    Participant

The difference you refer to is a difference between first edition and second edition – it suggests the german version you refer to is first edition

All the best

Garry

Big Al
    Participant

I have never seen a German copy, as I can’t read German, so I wouldn’t know what it states other than what you have said. So, I would have to ask, which English version are you reading?
    Actually, regardless of which version you have, the rule in both is that units in a broken brigade must make retire moves. In version 1 units can still receive orders, but other than retire moves, there isn’t much else they can be told to do. You can’t even Rally Shaken Units!
    In version 2, commanders of Broken Brigades cannot issue any orders, which means that units in Broken Brigades cannot receive orders.

As Garry has already said, it sounds like the German version is the same as version 1 in English.

Karl Deppe
    Participant

BP 1 says: “Units are allowed to make a single ‘retire’ move in the command phase instead of using their initiative ot reveiving an order (p97)” So they must not but are allowed to do a single move, just a move.
    BP 2 says: “Units can no longer receive orders in the command phase and cannot use their initiative. They must make a ‘retire broken’ move instead.” exept units in a defendable position like a building or a square.

I wonder if it is right, that the german version allows one order, not only a move. My opponents ordered his units to build squares and though he kept them where they were as squares are a defendable position. It felt strange.

Big Al
    Participant

Yes so, regarding BP1 and the quote you have made – a retire move is directly away from the enemy towards your own rear. It isn’t just a move, it is a specific move.
    Now, considering that Shaken Units cannot Advance upon the enemy, what else can Units in a broken brigade do?
    Also, in BP1, disordered Units can make the same retire move.

BP2 basically states the same thing but removes any confusion by denying the commander the ability to issue any orders.

How does any of this differ in the German version?

Karl Deppe
    Participant

In the germnan version the units of a broken brigade can receive one order and not only a retire move order. My opponent gave the order to build a square. Though the units were in a defendable position and not to move any further.

Big Al
    Participant

That is the same as in BP1. Yes, you could order a unit into square.while in square, a unit is allowed to retire. Retiring is the only move that a square can make, so, it would be legitimate. It sounds like the German version is BP1.

Karl Deppe
    Participant

Thanks for the answer!

Big Al
    Participant

No problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.