Artillery Question

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Artillery Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

Hello

My scenario calls for 3 lb and 6 lb cannon. Are those light smoothbore artillery or smoothbore artillery? Please advise.

Mike
    Participant

3lb smoothbore artillery are definitely “light” guns… as are the French 4lb smoothbores…

Most people I know classify 6-9 lb artillery as Field artillery.  So the British 6 and 9 lb guns are both Field artillery.

I have seen some people put the British 9lb guns in the heavy category to offset the French 12lb guns.

A case could be made for either classification… keep in mind the difference is largely range…

Garry Wills
    Participant

The 3 pdrs are probably better as battalion guns with the 6 pounders being  light field guns (BP2 calls them horse artillery). Having said that I play 15mm and increase all artillery ranges by 25%.

Garry

Big Al
    Participant

Yes, The 3pdr would be a light smoothbore. The 6pdr could be either smooth or rifled but I would class it as horse artillery. I only say that because of the wording in the table for ranges on page 56 of BP2.

George
    Participant

Thank you to all for your replies.

George
    Participant

I don’t think the 6lb guns can be rifled as this is the War of the Spanish Succession. Rifled artillery, from what I have read, were not invented until the 1840’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.