Advance Orders

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Advance Orders

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

If given a general order to “Advance”, is a unit required to advance its maximum allowed movement or can it advance less.

For instance, if I give a unit an order to “Advance” and roll 3 successes on the order test, is the unit obligated to take 3 full movements or can it stop after only 1 movement?

Or do I have to give an order such as “Advance 6 inches” or “Advance 1 full movement” in order to keep them from marching on ahead?

Rough Rider
    Participant

The spirit of the rules suggests you issue orders in relation to the terrain or other units on the table in a fairly precise way; such as “Col. Trevannion’s Horse will advance to the far edge of the hill” or “Sir Jacobs brigade of foot will advance to maintain it’s line with Col. Slingsby’s brigade”. However we do find ourselves sometimes issuing orders “Prince Maurice’s Horse will advance cautiously…” or …”advance a moderate distance towards the enemy”. I think that if you and your opponent are OK with saying you wish a unit to advance 7 and a 1/2 inches or whatever then that is ok too. Alternatively you could use “code”; ie “Prince Maurice’s horse will advance at a walk” and your opponent would know that no matter how well you roll the horse is not going to move more than 9″. Whereas if the order was “Prince Maurice horse will advance with all haste” he would know that the horse will use the maximum allowed movement.

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Yeah I got the idea from the rules that the orders should sort of match what you want them to do. So if you casually say “Advance” then the unit will advance as far as it can. So yes I think we will start giving a little more specific orders in our games.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.