ACW Whipped units

Home Forums Historical Black Powder ACW Whipped units

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Clifford
    Participant

Whipped units are considered to be lost for the purpose of brigade moral. What does lost mean? What is brigade moral? Also,Whipped units have their stamina reduced by one. How does this matter as they are already Shaken and can’t rally?

Nat
    Participant

Brigade Moral,  if you lose more than 50% of a brigade its broken and retires from the battle.  So if you have 3 units in your brigade and 1 is whipped, If/when one of the other 2 units os destroyed then you only have 1 unit left, which is less than the 50% threshold so the brigade retires (runs away)

A units stamina is how much punishment it can take.  So a standard sized unit has stamina 3, a whipped unit only stamina 2… any amount of hits over the stmaina value makes it harder for the unit to pass any break tests.  So a standard unit takes 3 unsaved shots and is fine, if the whipped unit takes 3 then thats 1 more than their stamina so must take a break test (2D6-1 compare to the chart)

Garry Wills
    Participant

In addition to Nat’s explanation, a unit can be ‘whipped’ by shooting without being shaken if it has the ‘wavering’ special rule. However this is the only case I can think of as ‘whipped’ units can’t be rallied.

David Clifford
    Participant

A whipped unit will always have carrover hits equal to its stamina.
    If a whipped unit takes 3 hits wouldn’t that be (2die6) -3?
    If a whipped units reduces its stamina to 2 and takes 3 hits , its still (2die6)-3.

How does reduced stamina hurt a whipped unit?

Is brigade moral the same as broken brigade? Where in the rules do you find brigade moral?

Nat
    Participant

(Disclaimer – I dont have Epic ACW rules so going off what you have put about the whipped units rule)

If the Whipped unit always tests at all damage taken then yeah its 2D6-3 Vthe chart.  As you dont roll on the chart until you have reached your stamina level a reduced stamina means that your opponent has to do less shooting to cause it to take that first check.

The rule set isnt a tightly written one where only certain terms are used to discribe certain situations, so you have to infer that brigade moral = broken brigade rules.  The phrase brigade moral isnt mentioned in the core rule book.

David Clifford
    Participant

Thanks for your imput Nat.

The whipped unit only tests when Shaken like any other unit. Thats why reducing its moral to 2 doesn’t hurt it in any way that I can see.

Peter
    Participant

David is this for Epic or Glory Hallelujah?

David Clifford
    Participant

Epic, I don’t have Glory Hallelujah. Is something in GH where a reduced moral would matter for a Whipped unit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.