6 pdr and Universal carrier(SOPCom: Best Diorama)

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action 6 pdr and Universal carrier(SOPCom: Best Diorama)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Matt Bell
    Participant

Hello,
    I was taken with the idea of the painting competition but struggled for what to do as I like converting the figures to create new poses. Then one evening in hospital (a long and different story) I came across a video of a 6pd gun being unhitched from a jeep and set up for firing – so that got my ideas flowing and I came across the attached picture – for inspiration purposes only from the following location
    (https://brooklynwargaming.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/brit6pdr.jpg) – sorry its a rival company.
    Now this could not fall into the unit category as the number of men is too high but it can come into the diorama, it will require a lot of surgery on figures to get the poses right but I will give it a go. I am as yet undecided whether to include a universal carrier instead of the Loyd tractor.

Attachments:
    Matt Bell
    Participant

I will post some photos showing the progress of the diorama

Matt Bell
    Participant

Gun crew development

Matt Bell
    Participant
    Gareth
    Participant

Nothing yet buddy 🙁

Dr Dave
    Participant

If you can wait the Loyd is in the pipeline by all accounts. Only a few units used the universal for this in NWE – 3rd Inf Div, 50th Inf Div and 3rd Canadian inf div. Warlord probably do the decal sets for these somewhere.

Matt Bell
    Participant

Dave – thanks for the info re the Loyd carrier – it will not be intimate for the competition though. The 3rd Division landed 6 pdrs towed by UCs on Sword beach. I have used licence to move the location of the photo to just inland form the Bach head. A couple of days after d-day a team are relocating their 6pdr the UC has shed its deep wading screens I have seen a picture of a UC on about the 15th June where it still has its deep waders but it was a mortar carrier.

Matt Bell
    Participant

some more photos

Matt Bell
    Participant

progress with diorama can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/mjbmodels/posts/761796927545274

Matt Bell
    Participant

The soldiers will be from the 1st South Lancashire Regiment who landed aboard LCT4 serial 213 at H+45 on D-Day. This is based on information meticulously compiled on another web forum which details nearly all the landing craft that hit Sword beach on D-Day.
    I have used modellers license to a degree but I feel that is ok given the nature of modelling for wargaming.

Matt Bell
    Participant

it has been long and painful but I have finally got some up

Gareth
    Participant

Can see the photos now,it’s coming along really well.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Nice work on converting / kit bashing the figures . Just noticed something is out of scale with the carrier or rifles ( you put the rifle rack where it’s supposed to go ) , they shouldn’t protrude as far as they do , I wonder it the engine screen is too long ? Photos show the muzzle pretty much even with the front wall , other wise Tommy up front has to keep his helmet on . Where did you get the tow bar for the carrier ? Scratch built or is it out of the metal kit ?

Matt Bell
    Participant

the out of scale rifles – this is down to the fact that the figures are heroic 28mm scale and the UC is 1/56. I have tried to stay within the realms of the keeping the model from the BA range. I have used minimal spares from the box hence why the rifles are too long. Hopefully it Does not detract from the finished article. But I will not complain as I am a big fan of the first generation BA figure kits and the versatility that they offer for conversions sadly lacking in the more recent releases.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I moved the rifle rack on mine further back to the middle of the screens , not correct but the rifles look better . Where did you get the tow bar ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.