17pdr AT tow

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action 17pdr AT tow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gareth
    Participant

Just checking as far as I`m aware British 17pdr AT guns can be towed by just about anything and don’t need a limber ?

Richard
    Participant

17pdr is a super heavy AT gun, there are only a few vehicles that can tow it.

There is no limber in Bolt Action, unless you are referring to the Horse Drawn Limber?

Dr Dave
    Participant

They’re pulled by the same Matador vehicle that tows the 25pdr in NWE.

In aAfrica and Italy you do see the Crusader tower as well.

Gareth
    Participant

In reality anything could pull a 17pdr as I have found pictures of Universal carriers dragging them. The limber was used with the 25pdr gun and usually pulled by a Morris quad I believe ? Not to worried about the rules just wanted to be accurate with what should be towing what.

Dr Dave
    Participant

You’re right many things could pull it, but it’s the Quad tracktir that units were issued with in NWE.

… and still no Loyd carrier to pull the 6pdr.

Gerry Brawley
    Participant

Currently you can use….. from the British BooK.

Quad Tractor
    Matador Artillery Tractor
    Scammell Artillery Tractor

The Market Garden book also allow you to use a cutdown version of the Quad,

Andy Lilof
    Participant

NWE:quad tractor (of any source- several diff versions) the Morris had ammo stowage designed in. Others did not therefore the limber was available.
    The crusader gun tow (image attached) was used by a number of units in Normandy and usually the ammo was carried on board. I have however seen an image where a limber was used too- can’t recall if I kept it. If I can find I’ll post it here.

Attachments:
    Dr Dave
    Participant

You’re right – I forgot the Crusader Tower. That’s neat, you can use either an armoured or a soft skin tow. Use ful to know. Thanks.

Andy Lilof
    Participant

Found it
    Here you go

Attachments:
    Jim Ripley
    Participant

Does anyone know how the rounds were stored in the Limber . The 25pdr rounds ( shell / projectile ) fit ,2 of each in those nice little trays . Was the 17pdr round stored the same way , or was the Limber gutted and the 4 round 17pdr ammo boxes stored inside ? I wonder if we’ll ever see a hybrid plastic / resin kit to build a Crusader Gun Tow , by Warlord or AM suppliers , because I think I want one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.