Streams in Combat

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Streams in Combat

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Edward Smith
    Participant

Hi

Is there any penalty to an attacking unit charging across a stream (apart from the distance penalty) in combat or bonus for a defender being charged across a stream?

Cheers Paul

Mike
    Participant

The best way to view, Black Powder’s terrain rules are as suggestions and the rules even suggest you feel free to tweak them…

So, if terrain is important to your scenario, then I would define the rules beyond those in BP2.  I have seen “streams” that I could walk across without breaking pace.  I have seen ones that in other parts of the country would be considered “rivers”.  Generically, BP calls streams obstacles and assesses a movement penalty (or impassable status for wheeled artillery).  If I felt a stream was a “substantial obstacle” I would be inclined to take away any charge bonus for units charging across streams.  But I would not get carried away.

Garry Wills
    Participant

The 6 inch movement penalty is significant and might add to the fire the attackers receive. If the stream is a significant obstacle, I would give the defenders the ‘stubborn’ rule while defending the stream. I use this approach to give uphill units an advantage.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.