Scotts BtGoA Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiscott
    Participant

Inspired by Johns Blog, and hoping it will keep me focused on my painting queue, this is where I will chronicle my hobby stuff for Antares.

I started with the Xilos set when it was 1st released, but through a combination of too many other temptations, apathy, and a glacier like painting speed its taken me till now to get most of the C3 finished.

C3

C3

C3

C3

These, plus a few buddy drones, are next for the C3

C3

The hope is, with the desire to post here, and some encouragement/feedback, it won’t take another 2 years to get some more models done.

John Mathews
    Participant

Great look all around. How did you do those plant towers?

Basing is phenomenal. I really like the purple accent color on your army.

Speed is something that hits me time to time, but my painting skills are no where near as good as yours.

Kiwiscott
    Participant

The plant tower tree things are made from the seed pods of a Banksia tree, which is fairly common here in New Zealand, and in Australia. Just painted, with a dollar store fabric flower hot glued to the top.

Banksia

Banksia

The bases are home made, cut with my jigsaw and a hole cutting attachment for my drill.

Kiwiscott
    Participant

This is the reason I need to stay focused on getting some painting done.

the haul

The recent Army Box deal netted me the Freeborn Box and Kara Nine (+ a transport drone and a Domari box, which isnt in the picture) and a few good deals and sales from a couple of local stores scored the rest. I really didn’t mean to get such a pile but the prices were just too good.

There are a couple of other blister packs also not pictured, and all the Ghar from my old starter box too.

So I think I have enough to be getting on with.

Tim Bancroft
    Keymaster

A really impressive start and really nicely painted. It’s great to see the purple details matching the foliage/main table on which you play – it’s always a great step, especially when the plant towers just look so good!

Kiwiscott
    Participant

Thanks Tim. The scenery came 1st, it was started years ago, and it just seemed natural to have the purple as an accent on the armor to blend in with the terrain.

This last week I have been grinding through the 1st squad of Freeborn.

Freeborn

Still a bit to do before they are finished, but when they are I will switch back to the C3. Hopefully by swapping back and forth I can keep the interest and enthusiasm levels up.

Jason Hall
    Participant

Lovely Stuff!!!… My Algoryns are purple 🙂 so I love your scheme…

J

Attachments:
    Kiwiscott
    Participant

Not a lot of hobby time to be had this week, but I did get some stuff done.

The Freeborn are so close to being finished. These 4 are done, the other 4 just need highlights on weapons and equipment and the bases doing.

Freeborn

I also put together a C3 X-Launcher and the next 2 squads of Freeborn.

X Launcher

Freeborn

Although I might have to wait for better weather before I can spray the undercoat on them. Its the middle of winter here.

Oh, and I made some rocky hills.

I’ll finish off the last 4 Freeborn, hopefully tonight, and then its on to some C3 buddy drones.

Kiwiscott
    Participant

So, it turns out that having Bronchial Pneumonia makes a real impact on your hobby output, you spend all your time just trying to breathe without coughing up a lung, when you should be painting toy soldiers.
    The only hobby stuff I’ve managed in the past 4-5 weeks is run my 3D printer, stockpiling terrain for painting.
    Seriously, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, but I’m still alive, mostly recovered and am back in front of the paint station.

Paint Station

All I’ve managed to do since the last update is a couple of buddy drones, and put a bit more paint on a few more models.

Latest Models

I’ve got a busy week coming up with lots of stuff that will take up my evening time but I hope to get a few hours of painting in too.

Tim Bancroft
    Keymaster

Hope you’re able to work on more as you recover. Looking forward to seeing more! 🙂

Kiwiscott
    Participant

As I thought, not a lot of hobby time this week, but I have worked on some terrain.
    Finished off some survival shelters.

Survival Shelters

Survival Shelters 2

And, in what will be a very long term project, started to flesh out a light freighter space ship for my Freeborn.

Freighter

Maybe next week I’ll get some paint on my troops.

Tim Bancroft
    Keymaster

The shelter’s look really good – a great piece of terrain. 🙂

Kiwiscott
    Participant

I finished some more troops.

I now have a complete Command Squad

C3 Command

An X-Launcher Team

C3 X-Launcher

And a Targeter Probe Shard

C3 Targeter Shard

I was trying to get my C3M4 Combat Drone done as well but its just taking too long, so I posed the rest, took some photos, and entered them for SOPCom.

C3

C3

I still have a couple of Targeter Probes to add to the shard and 2 Light Support Drones partly done (and the C3M4) but I might put them away for a bit and get another unit of Freeborn out and start working on those.

Rough Rider
    Participant

Nice work! I saw your photos in the SOPCom thread; great looking force and they really work with your terrain.

Kiwiscott
    Participant

Got a little bit done in the last week, but all boring prep work, no finished goodies to show.

The 2 squads of Freeborn had sand added to their bases and a black undercoat applied. 1 squad had the basecoat of the armor done.

To vary the painting I began putting together a couple of blister packs. A Freeborn Mag Light Support, and a C3 Plasma Cannon Support Team.

My order from the summer clearance sale arrived, so I also put together my 1st Ghar model. I wasn’t that fussed with them previously, but I’m changing my views, it’s a cool little model and Im looking forward to painting it.

Here’s the state of the work station. Sorry for the blurry photo, but the camera isn’t great.

Work station

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.