Resinous liquid bleeding from model

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Resinous liquid bleeding from model

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Smith
    Participant

Strange one this. I built and promed a Fairmile D. A couple of days before I painted it I noticed that there were some areas that looked greasy and shiny. I thought something had been spilt on it, so stripped, dried and reprimed the model. I then proceeded to paint and varnished it.

A week or so later, a shiny, sticky resinous substance seems to be bleeding through the paint in various places, particularly where I drilled into the model to fit magnets for the armament, but also stating to appear on flat decks, hull sides and along the waterline. It is even climbing onto the guns.

Has anyone else experieced this? It looks like I am going to have to scrap it.

elcee
    Participant

The greasy look out of the box is (fairly) normal, this should be the mold release. Cleaning the model in water with some soap should fix this.
    I never saw anything getting sticky after cleaning the model though. Maybe something went wrong while the model was curing.

Pictures would help though…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by elcee.
    Richard
    Participant

Insufficiently mixed resin.

The resin is two part: resin and hardener

If it’s insufficiently mixed or the ratio is wrong you can get leaking and stickyness.

Contact warlord for a replacement as it will never be right.

Sergei S
    Participant

Or improper mix ratio of resin to hardener. Solidified on the surface, creating a shell, but still gooey inside. That is permanent. Send it back and demand replacement. Thank god my russians are all metal, except Fugass minelayer.

Dwentz
    Participant

I have the same thing going on with one of my German ships from the fleet set.

See attached photo. First time was primed with Tamiya model primer that I have been using for years on resin, and metal. It had a bunch of soft spots, so I stripped and tried Duplo color automotive sand-abl. Another proven primer for resin. The photo is of that primer, and it’s getting worse by the day. What ever is leaking to the surface seem to grow more with time. None of the other ships have shown this issues and I have 4 fleet boxes so far all at least in primer.

Bill Smith
    Participant

That is even worse than my Fairmile.

elcee
    Participant

Interesting to see, i’ve build the occasional resin model from various companies over 20 years, but that never happened to me.

I don’t think that you should have probelems getting the model replaced, because those models should never have passt quality control in the first place, but maybe the effect isn’t visible immidiately.

Bill Smith
    Participant

The effect only seems to become apparent after priming – that’s the strangest thing about it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Bill Smith.
    Dwentz
    Participant

The model was a little tacky on the surface, but I have had resin models that cleaned up and were fine. My normal procedure for all resin is to was with warm water a take a tooth brush with a little comet cleaner to them. I did this with all the models from 3 fleet boxes and this one seemed fine after that, was no longer tacky. It showed up quickly after priming. I let set for 3 days and the areas never hardened with the Tamayia primer, but it was their light gray, and did not notice the wet spots like in my 2nd attempt. When I stripped it I washed it again and there were no sticky spots. I let dry for 3 days before I sprayed it with the automotive primer. It instantly looked like water under the primer bubbling to the surface. I left it sit and in the photo it continues to weep moisture, and it is reacting with this paint more.

Dale

Dwentz
    Participant

I also wanted to mention that I did send an e-mail to Warlord to see if they will replace it.

Dale

Bill Smith
    Participant

I tried drilling a few holes into the bottom of the hull of the Fairmile, to try to channel the weeping liquid away from the painted surfaces. It didn’t work.

Dwentz
    Participant

Warlord is sending me a replacement for the bad casting. I received a quick responce to my e-mail, and problem. A+ for good customer service from Warlord!

Dale

Fitzwalrus
    Participant

I have worked with casting resins for over 30 years, and what you’ve described is due to either (a) an incorrectly mixed batch of resin, (b) a batch that was mixed correctly but got the resin/hardner ratio wrong, or (c) one of the resin components was contaminated, most likely by moisture.
    There is no fix for this once the piece is cast, so kudos to Warlord for a quick response and replacement.

Bill Smith
    Participant

I have now had this happen on a second model – a British trawler which I finished painting in early March. Last time I looked at it about a month ago, it was fine. Yesterday when I took it out of the box there was liquid resin covering much of the deck and superstructure. At present I have painted a total of 11 resin models. 6 of these came from the first releases – 5 from the British and German boxed sets and the tanker. I have had no problem with these. However, 2 out of 5 models bought subsequently have shown this problem. To say I am annoyed is a bit of an understatement after spending considerable time painting both of these models. I let the first go as a one off, but 40% failure on boats bought after the first batch is not good.

I have 8 resin boats waiting to be painted, but I am unsure where to bother now, if there is a chance that my work will be ruined after a period of months.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Bill Smith.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Bill Smith.
    elcee
    Participant

This should not have happened. Again I haven’t had this problems so far (with any manufactor). But on the other hand not all Cruel Seas models are painted so far.

How long does it take until the bleeding shows?

Maybe just prime and let them sit for a week, while not ideal it would be less wasted time if there was a problem?

I can very much understand that this is discouraging.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.