Questions from a newcomer about Gates and the state of the game

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Beyond the Gates of Antares Questions from a newcomer about Gates and the state of the game

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Delval
    Participant

Greetings all,

I’ve been looking at this game on and off since its release.
    But the pricepoint and lack of players kept me from getting into it.

I had quite a few questions:

1) How ‘alive’ is this game? Does it sell well for Warlord Games? Unlike Bolt Action I barely see any activity around this one. Also is a new edition of the rules around the corner? If it is and given how long I do to finish an army it might be worthwhile for me to skip the starter and just collect some minis I like.

2) What is the average point size people play at? Prices seem rather high but if the average model count is small I can understand that. If it leans more towards the Warhammer 40K scale of things (love the setting / game / novels but not up to collecting the everchanging cavalcade anymore)

3) My focus would be the Ghar. The base starter set seems to supply some but not many. The Concord doesn’t appeal to me though. How necessary is it to get this set? I saw a lot of dice, the rules etc in there.

4) Lorewise are the Algoryns the best choice to fight the Ghar?
    Do the Outcast Ghar match up interestingly against the Empire? How different are their playstyles?

5) Are there specific factions that are very newcomer friendly? I’d be building the opposing force if I decide to jump into this game.

6) I saw there are campaign books. Which does appeal to me. How much story do they have build in? And how good are they if you only have 2 factions?

7) Has Warlord Games communicated anything about future projects for this game?

Zac
    Participant

So these are all my own impressions.

2) Most games I play have been on the smaller side. Vehicles are more limited than in 40K and I have yet to actually use all of my Ghar Rebels in one game.

3) I’d focus on the army sets. Both the Ghar Empire and Ghar Rebel factions have army sets and they provide a really good value. I have used all of the models in my Rebel army box.

4) The Algoryn are the initial enemies for the Ghar but you can play them against any faction. The Antares gates make it possible for anyone to move to any location.

5) I haven’t found any faction that needed an experienced touch in order to play. The Ghar Empire are pretty easy to play.

6) I picked up the campaign books for the army lists and the back-story but I’ve never played the campaigns in them. If you like linked scenarios they are great. You can play them with any faction AFAIK

7) Warlord has mentioned that there is a second edition coming out and there has been talk of a new starter set but there haven’t been any more details released. I think you are safe to pick up any of the army boxes but I would hold off on picking up any of the starter sets or even the campaign books.

Ronald Delval
    Participant

Many thanks for the awesome feedback.
    I think I’ll look for a good deal and just pick up the core Ghar army set and maybe the expansion set for the Ghar.
    If anyone has any other feedback let me know!

Jan Rudolph
    Participant

1) It depends on your region. Some places have a solid Antares Community but others wont. The new edition is planed for 2020 but no one can give a fixed date yet.

2) The Antares Days at Warlord Games are always about 500 to 1250 points. This is a regular size where you are able to play up to 12 units (roughly). The last event was going with 600 PLUS lists all the way.

3) The starter armies are all good and contain usefull stuff. You can stick to them and buy rules, dice, etc separate or take the beginner box. Maybe a friend of you like to take the Concords or use them to pimp up your bases. Always nice to see Battle Suits stamping over “dead bodies”.

4) Algoryn and Ghar are archenemies but Ghar are NOW all over the place. The LIVING STORY of Beyond the Gates of Antares brought them to every border. So you can easy fight Concord, Isorian, Freeborn and even Boromites.

5) Algory are nice for newcommers (they have only a few special rules). Ghar are tricky because they typically win high or lose high. They could look like over powered or under powered. But you can trust me, they are well balanced but highly depending on dice rolls.

6) Each campaign book includes stuff for all factions and are the base of the living story. If you want to play not only Ghar Empire you should consider buying Battle for Xilos (for Ghar Rebel) or Dronescourge Returns (for Ghar Exiles).

7) They are mainly working on A2 (or version 2) of the game. But don’t expect an overall new and different game (like other publishers). A2 is more a streamlined and simplified version. You can still use most of your actual models in A2 (maybe not in their actual configuration).
    At last Antares Day they also announced new Isorion (plastic or resin) modells which could be part of the new starter box (rumors). And even new Boromites (plastic or resin) are on the list.

It is always worthwhile to have a look into the Nexus. There are FREE army lists for every faction as well as playaids and a bunch of short stories about all factions.

If you have any further question, just ask 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.