Prussian sub-commanders

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Prussian sub-commanders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dmitry
    Participant

sub-commanders
    1.can use Rally order?
    2.Follow me last brigade order?
    3.may be die for example hand to hand combat?

Garry Wills
    Participant

According to p.104 of Clash of Eagles, sub commanders can be used to channel follow me orders. If they can do that there is no reason why they can’t also channel rally orders. My assumption though is that because the brigade commander is channelling his orders through the sub commander, then he can only give one rally order or one follow me order, both these orders are his last. Similarly since the sub commander doesn’t have his own Staff Rating he won’t be able to add die to units he accompanies in melee, since you need a staff rating of 8 or more to add dice in melee. From what I see, the sub commander really only reduces the distance from the brigade commander to the units being ordered.

However it will be interesting to see how others play it.

Regards

Garry

Garry Wills
    Participant

I note, from rereading Clash of Eagles, that I made a mistake with my previous post. The last paragraph does enable sub-commanders to add dice in melee. This seems like a step to far for me and a bit of steal at only 10 points each, especially as a blunder result by the sub commander does not stop the commander continuing to give orders.

Regards

Garry

Frederic Romero
    Participant

I agreed with Garry in two points:
    1) the Sub-commander reduces the distance between the Commander and the unit.
    2) 10 points is very cheap but it’s the Prussian power.

But what happens if the Sub-commander fails giving an order?     The Prussian player can still give order with his Commander?
    If a blunder did not stop the Commander giving order we can assume that he can also when the Sub-commander fail normally.
    The rules only explain what happens when you roll a double 6 (Blunder)

Regards.

Garry Wills
    Participant

We have to apply the main rules to the sub commander situation. So when a sub commander fails an order he can give no further orders this turn, but the brigade commander can continue giving orders.

To understand this it is important to remember than the late Prussian Brigades were the size of other nation’s Divisions, which would have 3 or 4  generals/commanders. So really Prussian sub commanders are the brigade commanders of other nations and they should be able to give the full range of orders. Hence my comment about the points value.

I am using sub commanders in other scenario specific situations and use a more restricted range of possible orders, e.g. rally but not follow me and a failed order stops the orders of the brigade commander, which I think is more appropriate to the 10 points value..

Regards

Garry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.