Necromancers and the Undead Rule

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Warlords of Erehwon Necromancers and the Undead Rule

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Fukuzawa Yukichi
    Participant

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I have just finished my second game of Warlords of Erehwon, and my question is in regards to a necromancer with a full complement of 4 skeletons; does the undead rule apply to the unit when it comes to route tests? Does this apply if you kill all the Skeletons and not the necromancer in a round of combat?

Today I played knights vs an undead list, and we ruled it undead applied to the necromancer.

Thanks for the help!

Tim Haslam
    Participant

I would say so.
    I’ve not looked specifically at the rules, but it seems to make sense to me.

The Necromancer is a vital part of the army, you can’t afford to loose him!
    I’m building an undead force at the moment.
    I too have gone down the necromancer and 4 guards route.

Gerry Brawley
    Participant

I asked this on the FB forum, Here’s Rick’s reply….

Rick Priestley Hi Gerry – sorry might have missed this one – is the question ‘how do you take into account the Undead rule of the bodyguard when the Necromancer does not have said rule?

This is something I should have spotted and sorted out but obviously didn’t – but this is how I’ve played it and I think this is the best and easiest take on it:

The unit is the Necromancer (i.e. not undead) so basically treat the unit as not undead so long as the Necromancer is extant.

Treat the individual bodyguard models as undead and apply the rules that are specific to individuals – i.e. choking attacks, venomous attacks – but ignore the rules that affect the whole unit – i.e. cannot be routed and terror. Dread is a funny one because it’s a mix – but apply the strength penalty for enemy fighting the bodyguard – ignore the rest (to keep things relatively simple).

That means – broadly speaking – the Necromancer doesn’t gain the advantages of being undead – but then again if you want all that there is the Liche option – which is exactly what it’s there for: Liche/Undead, Necromancer/not-undead.

I think that’s the easiest method – the only bit I went to and fro with was the Acc penalty for dread (because you shoot at a unit rather than an individual) but on the whole I thought it was better to stick with the ‘individual’ concept as above.

Fukuzawa Yukichi
    Participant

Thank you both for your answers. My instinct went with the “They are not undead” because being a human and a leader. In my game they got charged by a Knight Champion and lost two combats but did not die. WE ruled a break but no route. Had it been a route, that is a different game for sure.

These kind of rule interactions are a part of the game I enjoy, so thank you both for the help.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Best change my necromancer to a Liche then!

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Ok,
    I now have an ‘undead’ leader in my army!
    It’s taken a bit of jiggery pokery but I’ve squeezed everything I want to use into 1000pts.

Fukuzawa Yukichi
    Participant

Since I did not use zombie master, which seems the main reason to use the necromancer, switching to the liche was simple for me.

I had a highly upgraded necro, and the liche is a better container for him.

AbsoluteZero
    Participant

That answer from Rick is one in a long line of “did he really put any effort into this?”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.