Mogami Pre-War Guns and AD Value

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Mogami Pre-War Guns and AD Value

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lord Snotrag
    Participant

So, another item that seemed odd to me.  Was wondering if it might be a card error.

We were looking at the stats for the Pre-War Mogami weapons.  Prior to the turrets being 2x 8″ guns, they were 3x 6″ guns.  We looked at the stats on the back of the card for the 6-inchers.  Now, while they lowered the stats of the gun appropriately [lowering the range and armor penetration] they did not give the additional attack die reflecting the extra turret.  Now, I understand there’s some fudging for rules purposes for things like light guns, which tend to be a little more uniform per fleet.  But for main guns, this seems incorrect.  To penalize them for lesser gun in stats, but not seem to take into account the extra turrets, appears to be an error to me.

Is it possible to confirm that either this is an error, or if this is some sort of fudging?  If it is fudging, is there an explanation for it?  Because, honestly, this seems like the guns are taking a double-whammy to bring them down.

Thanks in advance.  🙂

Enioch
    Participant

Obviously there is no way I can give you an “official” response, but triple 6″ gun turrets had 2 AD in beta as well. It’s a fudge.

I think it has something to do with critical chance of guns. Lots of 6″ guns gave you lots of potential hits, which gave you lots of damage dice which increased the chance of criticals; a 12×6″ or 15×6″ cruiser could kill battleships just through criticals. They could give 6″ guns the ‘weak’ trait (and some 6″ cruisers like the Agano do have ‘Weak’ main guns), but it makes more sense to reduce the outbound damage while still allowing for criticals.

At least, that’s what I think happened. Now 6″ cruisers can’t directly compare with 8″ cruisers damage wise (which is historical), but they can still cause criticals and mess up superstructures and systems (which is, again, historical).

Lord Snotrag
    Participant

If it was that way in Beta, then you’re right:  it is probably a fudge.  I’m not sure I like the reasoning.  But But it is what it is.  🙂

Thanks for the info.

Bill McGill
    Participant

The Earlier Mogamis didn’t have an extra turret, only an extra gun per turret.

You only get 1AD per gun for 8″ or larger guns. For 6″ (or 6.1″ in the case of the Japanese, and presumably the 5.9″ guns of the Germans), it seems to be 1 AD per 1.5 guns per turret, so triple turrets get 2AD.

The British really get screwed by this as some of their cruisers have twin 6″ turrets, meaning each turret only gets 1AD. So an Arethua clas cruiser with 3 x Twin 6″ turrets would only have a broadside of 3AD, but a Town class’s front arc of 2 x triple 6″ turrets would get 4AD, despite both having the same number of the same size guns.

For guns below 6″, you need even more guns for each AD.

Enioch
    Participant

I mean, ‘screwed’ is a relative term.

If we extrapolate from what we’ve seen in the Leander and the Edinburgh, British CLs are pretty good – their guns are fast-tracking (so excellent vs DDs), and the Leander, with its only 4 AD gets Twin-Link too, which turns her into a DD blender. In test games we’ve played with my posse, Leanders can one-turn-cripple DDs like nobody’s business, and chew through tinclad treaty cruisers pretty easily too. Essentially 3-4 consistent damage per turn is pretty good, especially if you abuse Long Range plunging fire + Twin-Link to get +1 AP shots into the other ship.

Also, they’re cheap as dirt, which also is a significant balancing factor.

Lord Snotrag
    Participant

I’ve seen the stats for the Leander.  They get one AD per turret.  But they’re Twin-Linked.  So… not as bad as you’d think.  The Edinburghs get 2 AD per turret, but without the Twin-linked.

Both turret sets also get fast track.  So, some bennies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.