Melee combat: how do you play it?

Home Forums Historical SPQR Melee combat: how do you play it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Baker
    Participant

Since the last FAQ I’ve seen how people debate here and in the hobby stores about the best way to play melee. We have tried the “new” base to base combat rules, and didn’t really enjoy it, making the fights slower and clumsy (perhaps we aren’t doing it well?). Which way do you use when you play, only base to base combat or the whole units clashing? Which one you prefer and why?

Would love to read what players think and do. SPQR needs an updated and better rulebook in my opinion, because the game is missing things, but we also love it a lot.

Discoqing
    Participant

Base to base.
    Simultaneously.
    And remove from the back of the unit.
    I can’t see how people have issues, tbh.

dh341352
    Participant

Ive yet to play but have found from other games that it depends on what players are used to as many tend to adopt their own preferred method as house rules rather than go by what is written.

given the examples above, general melee assumes that both groups are intermingled and would go for the whole group vs the whole group with casualties being taken from the rear as this is generally the easiest place to remove models than from in the middle of the fight. This works well if fighting in open terrain.

if fighting across an obstacle or in between 2 buildings, or on a bridge for example the unit gets bottled up by the confines of the terrain, in this case only the front ranks get to fight, with the exception that you could include second rank and file if they have spears or bole weapons being able to reach over or between combatants.

though to be fair i like to keep it quick and simple, count all models in melee, role for results remove casualties for either side. then you decide if is a draw or who is forced back or routed but that’s another argument.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.