Heavy Cavalry Question

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Heavy Cavalry Question

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

Hello,

I see there are 2 kinds of heavy cavalry. There is one that gets a 1d3 modifier and another that gets just +1 modifier. Both these modifiers are applied the same way as I understand it, with the 1d3 modifier being better as it can become a +1, +2, or a +3. Yes?

The next question is where this modifier is applied. Is it to the “to hit” rolls or is applied to the combat resolution at the end determining who won the battle or not. Right now I’m reading the rules as the later. Am I wrong on this?

Garry Wills
    Participant

Yes it is added to the combat resolution. Hvy Cav +1 is approximately the equivalent of adding 3 close combat dice, so a big effect.

Mike
    Participant

The only thing I would add is Heavy Cavalry with the 1D3 modifier is reserved for the truly elite heavy cavalry.  In contrast, what was once called “Heavy” Horse or “Heavy” Dragoons get the +1 modifier.  The term “heavy” referring more to the horse, than the soldier.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Totally agree, even then it might be a bit much given that they also get two extra combat dice. The average +2 to combat resolution is equivalent to 5 extra combat dice, so all together it is like being attacked by two normal units.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.