First game – who won?

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Warlords of Erehwon First game – who won?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bunting
    Participant

Hi.

We played our first Erehwon game at the weekend. We really enjoyed it but we’re not actually sure who won! We played Secure the Relic. My beastmen held the relic within 2 moves of my board edge (the scenario victory condition) but my warband broke on the very last order (the general victory condition). Which takes priority?

Somebody else has asked a very similar question previously but I couldn’t work out the answer from the replies. (Sorry…)

Cheers,
    Colin

johngb1840
    Participant

Hi Colin
    Page 113 of the rule book (both editions) contains the following statement “We refer to this number of dice as the warband’s break value. Warbands that reach their break value are described as ‘broken’, and in most scenarios this signals defeat. it is perfectly possible for both forces to be broken in the same turn or for broken warbands to achieve their scenario objective, so don’t give up hope!” The key word, to me, is MOST which implies that in this particular scenario you would won had you achieved the objective even though your warband was broken. However since you had not reached the edge of the board then the fact that your warband was broken overrides the secondary objective where you were within two moves of the edge. Sorry, you lost. I’m sure that there will be different opinions on this.
    Cheers, John

Colin Bunting
    Participant

Thank you for your reply, but I don’t think that’s right. I can’t see anywhere in the rulebook where it says that primary and secondary objectives are different.

Having reread the other forum post (again) I think I get it now – game duration follows the rules on page 113 but victory conditions are set by the scenario. (Not sure why they even included the sentence with the word “most” in. Conversational fluff?)

I do think that needs clarifying in the next edition, particularly as “Victory Conditions” appears to be a sub-heading of “Duration” on page 113 when it shouldn’t be?

We called it a draw!

Hi, Colin–
    Just wanted to share that I just played a first game with both sides sporting Olympian Warbands–one Spartan-themed; the other, Athenian-themed. Point values were around 1300 and change. Ours, too, was seizure and control of a relic artifact planted right smack in the middle of the battlefield on a knoll, equidistant from both forces. First, both sides fully deployed and conducted a general forward advance. 2nd turn was the crisis, climax, and end. Advance units both reached the sacred mount. Mutual Harpy attacks occurred, one successful in sustaining casualties; the other not. And then one side sent out its powerful Lord on foot with retainers to clinch the deal. My Amazon foot archers on the left and Amazon mounted archers on the right, bracketing a my hoplite assault in the middle resulted in my opponent’s slain Lord figure. Thus, pre-empting the need to scuttle away with the sacred relic as the promontory on which the artifact rested was seized in force, and the now leaderless opposing war band now stalled in confusion, dashed and in despair. The ironic point is that the battle lasted long enough my friend and I to experience the synergy of orchestrated flank missile attack–foot and mounted plus ranged overhead fire (harpies)–wrapped around an armored hoplite attack in the center. The synchronicity of execution was stunning to see unfold. American 20th century principles of war: maneuver, offensive, speed, surprise, mass, objective, unity of command, security, and economy of force–all came into play as in a textbook example. Maybe it was one-time unique? Maybe the mirrored Olympian orders of battle facilitated it? Or maybe Rick Priestly has come up with something that gives rise to classical operations and tactical levels of engagement–to include lurking weapons of mass destruction carefully to be introduced and employed–that captures the ethos of war as I was trained, instructed, and professionally nurtured in as a 20th century soldier and commander. In any event, it was a surreal moment for me. Likely hard to come by again, I suppose. But what an introduction to Warlords of Erehwon!

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Praise doesn’t come much better than that!
    Glad you enjoyed your game.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.