Current Status of WoE

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Warlords of Erehwon Current Status of WoE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kris Dray
    Participant

Hello from the northern Rocky Mountains. I introduced this game to a pack of grandsons and it was a big success. I really enjoy it myself, and already have a half dozen warbands assembled from my Warriors of Chaos army. I have lost interest in Games Workshop for the most part, and I like Kings of War but I really am becoming fond of Warlords of Erehwon, especially as the nearest FLGS is over an hour away and they are now playing WoE campaigns. Warlord games is very popular, especially Bolt Action and Konflict 47, and the new CMON A Song of Ice and Fire.

Sorry for the long introduction. I am really amazed to find the game’s popularity, even if the 8000 points of Ultramarines I have are a little disappointed. Easing into retirement, and I would like to keep building warbands and playing this game, but I am curious how it is doing in your area. Games Workshop has really come out of their shell on the advertising and customer relations, and games like Saga, Sword and Spear, Clash of Empires, now SPQR…is there anything left for a fantasy game system like WoE? I sure hope so, but I am curious how others are feeling about this. Thanks for reading!

Doug
    Participant

Kris – I thought the community was non-existent based on the traffic here but there is a WoE FB group that gets much higher traffic volume than these forums do.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Doug.
    Kris Dray
    Participant

In the last few years, I have begun to feel that life is way too short to burn on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. but it seems many of the hobby forums have seen a bit of a downturn for a variety of reasons. Even as social media, and our hobby (based on all the new games and plastic out there) seems to be going strong. There are several pretty good gaming communities I would like to access on facebook, but I will have to activate my account to access them. Ah, well…are you enjoying WoE? The rulebook released is pretty good, I like the game mechanic and Rick Priestly is a fine writer, but it was a bit lackluster and poorly edited. Hopefully the second edition, if there is one, will be a little snazzier, better edited and produced. I think it is a great game. My last 40k game was with a good friend, but it was remarkably annoying under the latest rules. You can be so much more involved in this game rather than waiting to get shot off the table by turn 2 as I have seen in many 40K games. I hope Warlord Games keeps pushing WoE and introduces some outstanding new miniatures to help back it. Time will tell…

Tim Haslam
    Participant

We’re playing it in our little group.
    Exciting games, and the scenarios are fun, try them out.
    Really starting to gel with the system now.
    I’ve finished,
    Dwarfs
    Barbarians
    I’m starting,
    Undead,
    Orcs.

I’ve also bought a fully painted Knight army.

Yea, a bit sorry this forum is not too popular, I too am reluctant to join Facebook.

Kris Dray
    Participant

Thanks Tim. I am really enjoying this game and I look forward to traveling nearly 70 miles through the mountains to play against adults. I have to tell you, if you can teach it to 4 11-13 boys and keep them all engaged for hours with the Beast scenario and coming back for more, I am well pleased with the game.

I have 3 barbarian warbands finished, just have to put texture and basing materials on their skirmish trays and paint the mammoth and howdah. I have three complete Chaos warbands, again, just need to texture movement trays, two complete gnoll warbands on the paint table, and a boatload of kickstarter A Song of Ice and Fire minis that will make endless human and knightly retinue warbands. Did I mention I have a pile of grandsons, adopted and otherwise, and I am painting up some armies to send to family in England. And I have 3 different Shieldwolf warbands coming from a kickstarter early next year (I hope).

Not to worry about the forum…similar happenings on WarSeer forum and folks used to be quite chatty and helpful there. Times change. Glad you are enjoying WoE, and I hope the community keeps growing. Cheers!

Kris Dray
    Participant

Hi Tim. Just a quick update.

It is indeed a shame this place is such a ghost town. I deleted my facebook account a while back and the robocalls to my cell dropped way off. Within a week after getting a new account just to follow some WoE groups, robocalls started ramping up again. Enough of that.

I have tons of questions, but so it goes. My barbarians got thrashed by elves who were very gnarly in their spangly armor…mounted lord and guard, rangers, archers galore. Just curious about rules, etc.

Best wishes

Hi Kris,

From Cape May, New Jersey. I have recently turned to WoE for some fresh entertainment in my game club (sagaforum.discussion.community) that meets monthly. I have played with the Undead, the Elves, and the Olympians against the Knights, Orcs, and Wood Nymphs, respectively. Warbands. Have had loads of fund. Being a big fan of Antares, I found the transition to WoE to be greatly facilitated. Tim has helped me–via this forum–on several occasions as I climbed a quick learning curve, too. Our group has had a lot of fun incorporating various monster/monstrosity figures into our play. As an old retired guy with a military, teaching, and park ranger careers behind me I find that I enjoy an admixture of military, fantasy, and sci-fi in my gaming broth. By the way, I tip my hat to you teaching the young ones the joys of table top gaming. Our group keeps talking about the need to do that, too. Be safe driving through the mountains especially as fall and winter are coming. (I am up in Alaska right now visiting my son and grandchildren for three-weeks. The leaves are already beginning to turn!). Keep us posted on your exploits with WoE and other Warlord games. I play TOH, K’47, BA, BtGoA, too. (I also enjoy Dracula’s America). Good gaming!

Kris Dray
    Participant

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the great reply! Good on you going to Alaska and seeing family too. Alaska is on my bucket list for sure, and the Yukon, probably in a fifth wheel as my wife loves our lonesome place but is not enamored of sleeping on the ground where large bruins roam. I have several friends who have been mauled, and we are not as fast as we used to be, so I guess I can’t blame her.

I have accumulated enough miniatures for about a dozen grandkids to play WoE…only six have played here at the ranch and four are hooked but good. I am thinking of getting a few of the Antares, BA and K47 starter sets, especially for the youngsters with military parents. Is TOH the samurai game?

It is 60 miles to the nearest game club and FLGS, not to mention to the nearest Walmart or hospital (doctors don’t stick here well) but the driving is just part of it. I’ve driven myself to town with blood poisoning, broken bones, you name it. Hauling livestock has been a bit tricky at times, but we manage.

Anyway, I too am retiring and hope to be more active in wargames. Thanks for the reply and good gaming to you too!

Kris,

Yes. TOH is Test of Honor, formerly produced by WLG. Now, under separate proprietorship. I love the nuances of it. The scenarios are pretty cool, too. Does not take a lot of figures. For me, what makes a difference is period terrain–not a lot, but period and culture specific. Doesn’t hurt to have a little Japanese cultural music in the background, either. I find it relaxing and still thought provoking. The different kinds of unit sets each add a different flavor to the play: ninjas, monks, etc. It is all very subtle.

Sounds like you are live somewhat remotely to the vestiges of civilization. Is FLGS, Flagstaff? Does this mean you live not far from the Arizona border? I lived in Southeast Arizona for a while, at Fort Huachuca and Sierra Vista. About 75-80 miles Southeast of Tucson and 20 + miles west of Tombstone. High plains area. Cochise and his folks roamed the area. This is why I also like old West games–even though they are highly mythical and romanticized in their assumptions and scenarios. Dracula’s America (DA) adds some fantasy and mystery to the mix. Quite enjoyable. 7-8 figures to a side. Check out the rulebook.

Don’t “punch” those cattle too hard.

Sam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.