Command unit isn’t compulsory?

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Beyond the Gates of Antares Command unit isn’t compulsory?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I bought a lot of Freeborn in the Black Friday sale and I’m starting to paint my army and write some army lists. I’m looking at the rules and I can’t find that it says there are any compulsory units for an army… is it possible to have and army without a ‘command’ unit? I’m just thinking for 500 points I might run four Domari units and a targeter probe unit.

Hope this makes sense!

Jonny

Zac
    Participant

It probably isn’t that big a deal at 500 points and with a Freeborn army.

A Command Squad typically supplied you with a few things. First, a higher Command rating for your troops to use in tests. The Command unit has the Command ability which allows units within 10″ to use their Command for checks. This can be a life-saver in some situations. The same applies to the Init stat and the Hero ability.

Command units also have the Follow ability that can let you activate multiple units at one time. So you can position troops around the Command unit and then get them to Follow to put out a lot of fire or move a large part of your force at once.

Some Command Squads are mandatory if you want multiple of some special unit types. So if you want two Skyraider Squads you need a Skyraider Command Squad.

So they are not required in general but they are quite useful

Jonny
    Participant

Hi Zac,

Thanks very much for the helpful reply! I’ll add a command squad at some point but it’s good to know it isn’t compulsory for 500 points games 😃

Jonny

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.