Blind Fire (and big OH weapons)

Home Forums Science Fiction & Fantasy Beyond the Gates of Antares Blind Fire (and big OH weapons)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MrPieChee
    Participant

Does anyone use Blind Fire?

With patching LOS from friendly spotter drones, and the very low chance of success, it seems like there’s not much point in firing blind.

When Antares V2 hits any chance it could either be removed (to streamline the rules) or updated to be more worthwhile?

i.e. instead of only hitting on a 1, hit as per normal OH fire, but all hits scatter D10, and a lucky hit scatters D5, with all misses being a dud shot.

While on the topic of V2, any chance special ammunition could get an update to be slightly improved with bigger guns (like Net ammo is) – it seems a waste to buy special ammo for mag racks, mag mortars and x-howitzers when all the extra points you pay for the extra damage is wasted.

Jan Rudolph
    Participant

Never used Blind Fire so far. As you said there are tons of Spotter Buddies to patch to. Still no chaining but you can cover a lot of LoS with just three drones.

In case the enemy has a lot of 1 or some subverter drones going through the Blind Fire may be the only chance for an OH weapon to come to effect. Maybe…

And I wouldn’t expect a buff for the OH weapons because atm they are the stronges on the table. If you ever run 3 or 4 x-launchers you will know what I’m trying to say.

So far I never bought special ammunition for my mag mortar. Just laying some scrambler over the field and hit hard with D10 OH2 ^^

MrPieChee
    Participant

Net ammo has had that buff, why do you think other types shouldn’t get it?

Any option that’s not being used should be changed in some way, whether that’s a point change or a rule change (or its simply removed). Having options that are never worth it are just a trap for new players, and bloat for everyone else.

Tim Bancroft
    Keymaster

Net ammo has never had a buff, but it has had a downgrade as it was originally far too powerful.

OH weapons with a double template such as the mag mortar are deadly, too, as they rarely ever miss. Further, given the final size of the vehicles (as Rick has pointed out), the OH weapons have become a deadly anti-vehicle defence as they rarely miss on a fire order.

The main advantage on using special munitions with an X-howitzer is range. In general, the special munitions options are also there for providing the capability for an army who only wishes to take one of the OH weapons rather than using the more effective option of an x-launcher for special munitions and an X-howitzer/Mag Mortar for Net or explosives.

MrPieChee
    Participant

I didn’t mean net ammo as a whole had a buff, simply that net ammo on an x-howitzer is more powerful than on an x-launcher.

Mag mortars with the double template don’t make use of that with special ammunition types as far as I know – so by firing special ammo with a mag mortar its a double waste: not gaining the damage bonus you’ve paid for in the unit cost, and not paying for the template bonus you’ve paid for in the unit cost.

It would be nice to see that same buff on all the ammo types, because otherwise those ammo types aren’t used [on the big guns].

I hadn’t considered range, but still not sure it makes it worthwhile. To take a strategic choice you need to play at least 1k points, where you can easily find space for a relatively cheap x-launcher.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by MrPieChee.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.