Battle of River Forth (RAF and FAA pre Battle of Britain)

Home Forums Historical Blood Red Skies Battle of River Forth (RAF and FAA pre Battle of Britain)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Scott1314
    Participant

FAO Dan,

Nice article. Note the you refer to HMS Hood and USS Hood in article. Trenent is spelt Tranent. And re 602/603 squadrons. One claims to have been the first RAF squadron to shoot down a plane in WW2, the other claims to be the one that fight shot down a plane over Britain. Either way the plane was actually claimed by FAA. In passing I’m from Edinburgh, my aunt served in the Edinburgh squadron in 1970s and 1980s. My grandparents moved from Govan to Edinburgh in 1939 to avoid getting bombed as my grandfather worked in the new Ferranti factory which built a Spitfire sight along with other things. During one of these early war raids the germans missed Rosyth by about 20 miles and hit a house in the same street that my granparents had moved to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2814265/The-opening-hit-Second-World-War-Evocative-photograph-shows-Luftwaffe-plane-shot-Britain-75-years-ago.html

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.