ACW Organisation

Home Forums Historical Black Powder ACW Organisation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pete
    Participant

Today, I decided to start a couple of collections for the ACW – one Union, the other Confederate. I’m going with Perry plastics as they are cheap, customisable and lightweight. I threw together the following basic organisation for both sides:

1 General
    3 Brigades, each 3 Regiments, each 5 bases of 4 figures
    1 Artillery Battery, 6 cannon and crew

That comes out to 180 infantry, three Brigadiers, one General, 6 cannon and 18 crew per side. I will be basing the infantry on 20mm circular bases and then mount them on 4×4 movement trays as that way I can use them for skirmish games as well. The Brigadiers will likely be on 40mm circular bases and the General on a circular 50mm base. The cannon will be unbased; the crew will be on 20mm circular bases.

Nice and simple to start off with, but of course I don’t have to field the exact same forces in each game.

Pete

Dr Dave
    Participant

Hello there. Looks like a nice force. It might be worth you getting hold of “Glory, Hallelujah!” the ACW supplement (wot I wrote) to see some of the options within the lists as well as the special rules.

At first glance the forces look balanced but the artillery might be skewed with Eastern Union batteries being slightly more effective (different firing dice) early to mid war and often being composed of 6 (not 4) guns. Also, they are often heavier as well as the Union having more rifles.

Best of luck with your plans and do keep us posted.

Dr Dave

Pete
    Participant

Cheers Dr Dave, I remember you from the BKC forum! As it happens, a copy of the “Glory, Hallelujah!” supplement arrived today, so I will give that a read through once I’ve finished reading the BP rule book.

Pete

Dr Dave
    Participant

Pete,

I have been known to frequent other fora, BKC being one of them. It’s at BKC iv now. Pete… not Pete Jones surely?

Anyway. Crack on reading GA and PM me or post any questions you have.

TTFN

Dr Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.