ACW Glory, Hallelujah – charge rules

Home Forums Historical Black Powder ACW Glory, Hallelujah – charge rules

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

Dr Dave – first, thanks for the supplement, my gaming group and I have had a lot of fun with it!

Just a couple of questions re charges and the -2 modifier in particular:

1) Are troops defending buildings considered formed troops for the purpose of charges, ie does the -2 modifier apply?

2) If you are intending to charge with a unit that begins within 12″of the enemy, does the -2 modifier to the staff rating for charges stack with the -1 for the proximity rule? If so, that seems particularly severe! Just want to be sure that’s the design intent.

3) How does the -2 modifier for charges combine with the Follow Me! order?  Given the brigade commander doesn’t have to declare a charge until after the order is passed, does that mean the Follow Me! order is a way of getting around the -2 modifier?

Thanks again!

Dr Dave
    Participant

Hi there Tom – I’m glad that you like it.

1) As per the normal rules troops in buildings would not count as formed. I take this t be because in a cluster of buildings the attacker would be able to tell precisely which buildings were occupied and which ones were not. So we play that just like normal.

2) Yes – that was the intention. The modifiers are inclusive.

3) I fear that the follow me is not a “get around”. If the intention is to charge into contact then the colonels of the respective regiments will still be asking “Really?”… and prefer to close and shoot rather than actually cross bayonets. Sorry.

I hope that helps. But remember the supplement rules are optional. If you think that they are too prescriptive then feel free to ignore them. Also, check out the “Uppity” special rule on p64.

Tom
    Participant

Thanks Dr Dave, much appreciated – that all makes sense.

We use all the supplement rules except for Whipped, only because on practical gaming grounds we prefer to have these units leave the table and open up a bit more room for maneuver as the game progresses (acknowledging this is probably less realistic).

(Yesterday we had a cracking refight of Donald Featherstone’s classic “Action in the Plattville Valley” which I’ve adapted slightly for BP2 and Glory Hallelujah. It all worked very well.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.