Thanks for the comments guys, I've just updated the finishing touches section as there was a couple of bits I missed out. @ Big Al- You could Varnish the buildings beforehand, although I would recommend using a watered down PVA mix. It's cheaper than varnish and would provide a seal. The only reason I didn't do this beforehand was due to the the drying time and the fact that I needed to get the buildings back to Warlord as soon as possible (it's the same reason why there's not any work in progress pics ). @ Carvel- No reason why you couldn't use the colour guide for a Roman Villa, to be fair it's the same colours I'd use
I got the boxed set for Christmas (from myself) but did not start anything until the add on set arrived on Saturday. The outbuildings were a good way of practising assembling the kits.
The Good The kits go together very well and look very nice. I am really excited about the whole laser cut building thing even if it is another Cassandra moment for me.
The Bad I messed around with several different types of PVA in bottles with tiny nozzles before settling on a tub of plain vanilla PVA (best quality Evostik actually) and the little sticks that come with the kits, very useful indeed. The roof of the large shed is a poor fit with the retaining strips along the top and bottom but this is very easily fixed if you are aware of the issue, one of them just needs a little bit of tweaking, either moving it a millimetre or two or a bit of judicious sanding.
The Weird The add on sets seem a little sticky. Are they coated with anything? Not a problem but odd.
I have been using MDF bases for terrain for years and they always gets a coat of varnish on both sides and the edges. Having recently discovered laser cut MDF bases they automatically get the same treatment and this morning I varnished the outbuildings. They seem fine but I will not know for sure until I slap some paint on them. "It's the only way to be sure".
MDF does not seem to like water very much so I am a bit wary about the teddy bear fur bit as it will be rather wet.
I have used acrylic texture gel stippled on to foamcore buildings in the past with some success and I might try this with the Rouke's Drift buildings to give them a little texture and hide the peg holes. I assume the real buildings were plastered and whitewashed which is still a traditional way of finishing farm buildings locally so this would not give an authentic texture but one that is easily applied. Some experimentation is required I think.
Thanks for that Klingsor, most interesting. You've got me thinking there about texture. I have some very finly textured paint which I might give a go. This would seal the MDF as well as giving texture.
I really need to get some time to spend on these buildings although there's so much in the Horns of the Buffalo set and I've been given a couple of boxes of of unmarried zulus that my original plan to have this lot finished by the end of my Christmas leave is appearing hopelessly optomistic! I still have 64 unmarried Zulus, the MDF wagon, the buildings, 10 plastic Brits and all the metal Brits to go! Somehow I doubt that I will be finished by the time that I go back to work on Tuesday morning. . ... . . .
My blog - Modest Miniatures Just in case you want to hear more of my ramblings or see some of my other miniatures.